Today's Top News in U.S.
National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre and President Trump have spoken, a senior administration official confirmed to CBS News. The White House has not disclosed what the two spoke about during the phone call.
EL PASO, Texas (AP) — The man accused of carrying out last weekend’s deadly mass shooting at a Walmart in the Texas border city of El Paso confessed to officers while he was surrendering and later explained that he had been targeting Mexicans, authorities say.
EL PASO, Texas (AP) — Authorities say the 21-year-old man accused of carrying out the deadly mass shooting at an El Paso Walmart confessed after surrendering and said he had been targeting Mexicans.
President Donald Trump on Friday said he had “tremendous support” for possible new measures to tighten background checks on gun buyers, claiming that even Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., a traditional opponent of such laws, was “totally on board.”
House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said Thursday that his House panel is conducting an impeachment inquiry into President Trump . Nadler added that the committee will decide by the year's end whether to refer articles of impeachment to the House floor.
Walmart is removing from its stores nationwide signs, displays or videos that depict violence following a mass shooting at an El Paso, Texas, store that killed 22 people. The retailer instructed employees in an internal memo to remove any marketing material, turn off or unplug video game consoles that show violent games — specifically Xbox and PlayStation units, and to make sure that no violence is depicted on screens in its electronics departments.
"Team Mitch" is back on Twitter. The social media giant, which had locked Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s campaign account Wednesday after it posted a video of a profanity-filled protest outside his home in Kentucky, made the announcement Friday.
President Trump on Friday said he'd "love" to see quarterback Colin Kaepernick sign with an NFL team "if he's good enough" to compete in the league. "I think if he was good enough — I know the owners. I know [New England Patriots owner] Bob Kraft. I know so many of the owners — if he's good enough they'd sign him … they will do anything they can to win games," Trump said as he left the White House for fundraisers in the Hamptons.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is not calling the Senate back to Washington for an emergency session to address recent mass shootings, but gun control measures will be on the table when Congress reconvenes in September, he said in an interview with Louisville radio station WHAS Thursday.
WASHINGTON — Former Vice President Joe Biden was quick to try to clean up his latest campaign trail slip-up Friday by pivoting to a counterattack on President Donald Trump. Trump and Republicans are hitting him because "they need to divert" from the second anniversary of the fatal white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, he said.
President Trump on Friday dismissed the backlash against Stephen Ross, who has faced an outcry from SoulCycle customers since news leaked of the fundraiser he's hosting for the president in the Hamptons, N.Y., on Friday.
Hong Kong (CNN) — Hundreds of pro-democracy activists began on Friday what is intended to be a three-day occupation of Hong Kong's international airport, part of a series of demonstrations marking the 10th straight weekend of protests across the Asian financial hub.
Democratic hopeful Rep. John Delaney, D-Md., faced shouted questions over why he wouldn't plainly call President Trump a "white supremacist" as some of his fellow 2020 contenders have.
President Trump took aim at the entertainment industry on Friday after returning the night before from the scenes of two mass shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio, blaming popular culture for supposedly pushing "dangerous" movies on society.
WASHINGTON — In the wake of the largest-ever immigration raid in a single state, child welfare services were left grappling with children who came home from school to find their parents had been arrested at one of the seven Mississippi food processing plants targeted by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement on Wednesday.
(CNN) — A former US Olympian was charged with two counts of attempted murder Thursday after a shooting was reported at his New Jersey farm, authorities said. Michael Barisone, 54, was part of the US Olympic Dressage Team in the 2008 Olympics in China. The Morris County Prosecutor's Office said in a news release that he has been charged with attempted murder as well as weapons charges related to the incident.
Miami Dolphins wide receiver Kenny Stills says his recent criticism over team owner Stephen Ross' decision to host a fundraiser for President Donald Trump has led to him receiving death threats.
NEW DELHI (AP) — A strict curfew in Indian-administered Kashmir in effect for a fifth day was eased Friday to allow residents to pray at mosques, officials said, but some protests still broke out in the disputed region despite thousands of security forces in the streets as tensions remained high with neighboring Pakistan.
- 3D Wheat Field 55 Framed Poster Home Decor Print Painting Art AJ WALLPAPER
- 3D River Grassland Stair Risers Decoration Photo Mural Vinyl Decal Wallpaper CA
- Fall Duvet Cover Set with Pillow Shams Flying Maple Leaf Seasons Print
- Pegatinas Gigante Decoración Tortuga 1462
- Abstract King Size Duvet Cover Set Retro Curves Boho with 2 Pillow Shams
- Intelligent Design Queen All Season Sheet Set With Aqua Finish ID20-698
- Zoey European Sham by Westpoint Home, White
- 3M Square Multi Functional Cloths Laundry Dry Hanging Line (Rope) System
- Couette 2 personnes en fibre creuse hypoallergénique - 12 TOG - 180 x 200 cm
- Schachtel schlüssel sperrklinke 1 4 3 8 1 2 schraubnüsse 4 à 32 mm 6 six
- Used DC1507M 5-1000M 15dB SMA RF coaxial directional coupler
- Vintage Pioneer CS-53 two-way large bookshelf speakers
- 3D Schwan Fälle 829 Stair Risers Dekoration Fototapete Vinyl Aufkleber Tapete DE
- 3D Seaweed bluee sea 523 Floor WallPaper Murals Wall Print Decal 5D AJ WALLPAPER
- 22.9cm Paire en Laiton Ganesha Éléphant Poignées de Porte Armoire Tire Bronze
- NEW LG 32SE3D-B Digital Signage Display - 32 LCD 1920 x 1080 Edge LED 1080p
- Grey White Vintage 3 Seater Hallway Bedroom Storage Bench Cushion 3 Drawers Wood
- MUJI Canvas Rectangular Basket & Handle Slim Deep W37 X D18.5 X H32cm MoMA
- Ryobi LED Area Work Light 18Volt Cordless Rechargeable Handheld Emergency Indoor
- Whitmor Supreme 3 Tier Cart - Rolling Utility Organizer - Chrome
- Animal Duvet Cover Set with Pillow Shams Safari Wildlife Sketch Print
- Comfy Bedding Oversized and Prewashed Lantern Ogee Quilted Bedspread Coverlet
- Hillman Fastener Hillman Strike Hammer Drive Anchor
- New 3 Anthropologie TASSELED DECO FAN Queen Duvet & 2 standard
- Rii i13 2.4G Wireless Mini Keyboard Air Mouse Remote Control with Microphone Spe
- Yellow and White King Size Duvet Cover Set Shabby Blossom with 2 Pillow Shams
- ITouchless Rectangular Steel 16 Gallon Open Trash Can
- Rubbermaid Commercial Slim Jim Confidential Document Retrofit Lid Kit, 20 1 2 x
- Bedsheet For Double Bed Floral Pattern 100% Cotton Bedspread With 2Pillow Covers
- Completo Matrimoniale Bristol 5 pezzi Lenzuola 100% Cotone Copriletto mistoseta
- PUPPY DOGS Heavy Weight 5 oz FLANNEL Sheet Set - 100% Brushed Cotton blueE - FULL
- 2 SOLID Queen Comfort Memory Foam Bed White Pillows + Alternate Down Covers Best
- Cougreenure en fourrure d'agneau - Toscana black modèle 02 200x160 cm jeté
- NFL New York Giants 60 x 80 Fleece Throw with Tote
- Victorias Secret PINK Sherpa Blanket 60x70 (NWT) SOLDOUT
- Acoustic Audio IW-191 in Wall Speaker Pair 2 Way Home Theater Surround Sound
- Bosch Kreissägeblatt Expert for Wood
- Electric Screwdriver Cordless Drill Impact Drill Power Driver 20-Volt Max
- Jonti Craft Kid's Woodworking Metal Vise [ID 10294]
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) on Friday called upon Walmart to stop selling guns after a mass shooting was carried out in one of its stores. "Companies that sell guns have a responsibility to the safety of their communities," Warren, a 2020 presidential candidate, wrote in a series of tweets. "@Walmart is one of the largest gun retailers in the world."
An armed man who walked into a Walmart store in Missouri dressed in body armor and fatigues and was detained at gunpoint by an off-duty firefighter is "lucky he's alive still" considering the situation he created, a police official said.
DES MOINES – Andrew Yang is taking aim at some of his competitors for the Democratic presidential nomination. In a short interview with Fox News on Friday after speaking at the Des Moines Register’s "soapbox" at the Iowa State Fair – a tradition for White House hopefuls – Yang said his universal basic income proposal is “twice as good” as a similar plan by top-tier primary contender Sen. Kamala Harris of California.
(CNN) — A US Border Patrol boat patrolling the Rio Grande was shot at early Friday morning from the riverbank on the Mexican side, US Customs and Border Protection, or CPB, reported.
ESPN has postponed a planned tournament broadcast for the popular video game Apex Legends in the wake of recent mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio. Highlights from the competition, the EXP Apex Legends Invitational at X Games, were set to air this weekend on ESPN2. Apex Legends is a popular battle royale game and Fortnite competitor in which players use weapons, including guns, to eliminate other users.
Richard Gere on Friday boarded a Spanish humanitarian ship that has been stuck in the Mediterranean Sea for more than a week because no European government will welcome the 121 migrants who are aboard.
(CNN) — The sex abuse case against Cuba Gooding Jr. can go forward after a New York judge threw out a motion to dismiss the case, according to court documents. Judge Phyllis Chu also set a trial date of September 3. Chu reached her decision on Wednesday.
Malaysia has filed criminal fraud charges against 17 Goldman Sachs executives. The individuals who were charged directed three Goldman Sachs units that Malaysia alleges mislead investors while working on $6.5 billion in bond sales for the state investment fund in 2012 and 2013, Bloomberg News reported on Friday. The fund is known as 1Malaysia Development Bhd., or 1MDB.
Scientists have distilled vodka from ingredients found in the Chernobyl exclusion zone, creating the first consumer product out of the area since the nuclear disaster over 30 years ago. Called Atomik, the artisan vodka is actually an experiment from researchers looking into how much radioactivity would transfer over to crops grown in the zone, according to the Chernobyl Spirit Company, the team that created it.
BOSTON — Rosie Ruiz, the Boston Marathon course-cutter who was stripped of her victory in the 1980 race and went on to become an enduring symbol of cheating in sports, has died. She was 66.
South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D) on Friday unveiled a plan to overhaul the nation's health care system that would implement a public insurance option while working to improve and expand health services in rural areas and on Native American reservations.
Hong Kong (CNN) — Typhoon Lekima made landfall in the eastern Chinese province of Zhejiang early Saturday morning, hours after China issued a red alert about the storm. The storm reached China at about 1am local time (1pm Friday ET), according to estimates from CNN Weather.